November 9, 2023 17:03pm - Employment, Welfare Services
Department: Welfare Services
Reports to: Director of Welfare Services, Supervisor of Program Support Services
Hourly Rate: $20.00 – Experience-based
Status: Part-Time & Full-Time Non-Exempt
Date: November 2023
This role is under the management of the Supervisor of Program Support Services. The Food Pantry Specialist is the main contact for food rescue retailers and is responsible for daily donation pick-ups. This position will also assist with maintaining all food pantry areas while implementing food sanitation standards, in addition to helping to coordinate and delegate volunteer tasks. Constant public interaction with donors, volunteers, clients, and retailers in a courteous, professional manner in the representation of the Township is required.
Hours: 8:30 AM-5 PM/9:30 AM-6 PM Monday through Friday and alternate hours and special events as needed.
• Lead contact for food rescue retailers. Including daily pickups and managing the needs of both the Township and retailers.
• Assist with maintaining a safe, clean, and organized food pantry while implementing food sanitation standards. In addition to housekeeping duties in the department.
• Train volunteers, workfare clients, and community service workers to serve effectively. Assign daily tasks to meet the needs of the food pantry.
• Support Lead Support Specialist and Program Support Specialist Assistant with all food pantry needs.
• Ensure the Welfare Services vehicle is in safe operating condition. Maintain a clean interior and exterior, while keeping up with the maintenance schedule. Report all issues to the Welfare Services Director
• Interact with clients, volunteers, donors, and residents in a courteous, professional manner.
• Possess and utilize tact, diplomacy, privacy, and discretion when dealing with clients.
• Represent the Welfare Services Department and Township at events and resources exchanges.
Other Job Functions
• Performs all other duties as assigned by the Director of Welfare Services and the Supervisor of Program Support Services.
• Assist with retail purchases.
• Support donors with food drives and donations.
• Ability to recognize and appropriately respond to an emergency.
• Willingness to work occasional evenings and/or weekends as needed.
Education & Qualifications
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) award.
• Associate degree or equivalent related work experience is a plus.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Food Handler Certification (expected date of completion within six weeks of employment)
• Customer service or experience working with volunteers is highly preferred.
• This position requires driving a Township vehicle. Therefore, the Food Pantry Worker/Driver must complete a motor vehicle history check and possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
• The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully with reasonable accommodation.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, use repetitive motion, type, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle and feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to bend, squat, climb stairs, and reach overhead.
• The position requires lifting, pulling, pushing, and carrying up to 75 pounds.
• The work environment conditions described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job with reasonable accommodation.
• The position is executed indoors and outdoors; it requires contact with outdoor weather.
• This position may require off-site training which may have other conditions not listed here.
• Contact with low to moderate noise levels may be experienced during normal working hours and special activities.
• This position is scheduled for 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
• The Township offers a generous benefits package including paid time off, major health, dental, vision, life, and IMRF pension.
If you are interested in this opportunity or have any questions regarding the overview, please email us an updated resume & cover letter directly to the Township’s HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org
"*" indicates required fields