Obtaining a U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card

The Township of Schaumburg can help with first-time passports and renewals Monday-Friday from 9-4pm*. The Township can also take photos for $10 onsite. Below is information to know before you visit the Township. Please call 847-285-4561 if you have any questions or need any assistance in any way.  The passport service is walk-in only.

*Office hours may vary.


Please Note:  Passport applications are always free of charge and always available on travel.state.gov or the Township website.  If you are asked to pay a fee for completing an application online, you should consider this request fraudulent.







Service Times

  • Routine service can take up to 8 weeks from the day an application is received at a processing facility.
  • Expedite service (for an additional $60) can take up to 3 weeks from the day an application is received at a processing facility.

Please Note:  Any original supporting documents (e.g., birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or legal documents) sent with an application can take up to 8 weeks after you receive the new passport to come back to you.  If it has been more then 8 weeks, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 to report that you have not received your documents.

What to do if you think your new passport was lost in the mail:

  • If you applied in person or renewed by mail, please check https://passportstatus.state.gov/ to confirm that the passport was mailed.
  • Please contact 877-487-2778 if you have not received your new passport 14 days after it was mailed.
  • If you do not report that your new passport was lost in the mail within 90 days from the date it was issued, you must apply again and pay all applicable fees.
  • Please fill out the following form DS-86 if you have not received your passport 14 days after it was mailed.

U.S. Passport Book

International air travel requires you to obtain a U.S. Passport Book. The Passport Book can be used for all forms of travel which include air, land and sea. The Passport Book also comes in two different sizes, a 28-page book or 52-page book, and you can choose the size based on the amount of travel you anticipate. For those ages 16 or older the passport is valid for 10 years, for minors under 16 the passport is valid for 5 years.

U.S. Passport Card

You can obtain a U.S. Passport Card for land and/or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean or Bermuda. The card is a more convenient and less expensive option than the passport book, however the card cannot be used for international air travel.

Planning to Travel? Apply Early!

Apply at least six months before planned travel. Due to limited availability for urgent travel appointments, The Department of State cannot guarantee you can receive in-person service at a passport center. They are prioritizing customers with life-or-death emergencies. Call 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY)

Processing Delays

Visit passportstatus.state.gov to check the status on applications that have been submitted. Due to delays being experienced within the U.S. Postal Service and the increased number of passport applications, it may take up to 2 weeks for the application status information to be posted.

Application errors can also delay processing. If the applicant makes an error on the application, that page in the application must be completed again. Corrections made with white-out, crossing out the incorrect information, writing the correction on top of the error, etc., are not acceptable. Please use caution when completing forms, hand writing must be legible, all forms must be completed using BLACK ink only.

You will need to bring the following to the Township:

  • The completed DS-11 application (unsigned).
  • A certified original copy of your birth certificate issued by the county or state you were born in. Naturalized citizens must provide their original certificate of naturalization.
  • If you have an expired passport book/card more than 15 years past the issue date, you will be required to submit it with your application. If your previous passport is lost or stolen, you will be required to fill out a DS-64 form along with your DS-11 application.
  • Proof of identity: Valid Driver’s License or State ID.
  • U.S. Passport Book fees are $130.00 for adults and $100.00 for minors 15 years of age and under.
  • U.S. Passport Card fees are $30.00 for adults and $15.00 for minors 15 years of age and under.
  • A personal check, money order or cashier’s check made payable to the U.S. Department of State must accompany each application. All fees made to the Department of State must be paid by personal check, money order or cashier’s check only. An additional $35.00 processing fee will be charged per application (DS-11 Application only) payable to the Township of Schaumburg by cash, check, debit or credit card*.

Please see below for additional requirement checklists –

Checklist for Adult Applicants

Checklist for Adult Renewal Applicants

Checklist for 16 or 17 Year Olds

Checklist for Minor Applicants (Under 16)

Checklist for Foreign-Born Child

Checklist for Minor Child Born in Foreign Country and Adopted by U.S. Citizens

A full list of fees can be found here. English Spanish

One passport photo is required for submission. Photos can be taken at the Township for $10.00 payable to the Township of Schaumburg by cash, check, debit or credit card*.

Please note – We are only able to provide 2″ x 2″ size photos for passports and other documents.  The photos can only be cut down to the “2 x 2” size and we are unable to provide a digital copy of the photos.  If the photo is for a document or passport other than a U.S. Passport, we recommend checking photo requirements before coming in.

*All debit or credit card transactions incur a 4% courtesy fee.

Expedited Service Fees

If you are planning to expedite your application, there will be an additional charge of $60.00 (adult and children).

Parental Consent

Minors fifteen (15) years of age and under must be accompanied by both parents or submit an original legal document stating sole legal custody has been granted to one parent. If the other parent cannot be present, you must submit a notarized DS-3053 parental consent form with the child’s application with a front and back copy of the consenting parents Driver’s License/State ID.

Minors sixteen (16) years of age and over with a government-issued ID such as a Driver’s License may apply by themselves, however without knowledge of parental consent it may delay the process of obtaining the U.S. Passport Book and/or Card. It is recommended that minors (between 16 and 17 years of age) be accompanied by at least one parent to acknowledge parental consent.

First time applicants or minors under the age of 18 renewing a passport are required to fill out a DS-11 application.

DS-11 Application Form (Online Fillable Form)

DS-11 Application (Printable PDF)

Instructions for completing DS-11

If you have an adult passport that was issued less than 15 years ago, and you are 18 years or older, you are required to fill out a DS-82 application form. Renewal Passport Applications are done by mail and do not need the assistance of an acceptance agent. *Please note – Children’s passports are not eligible for renewal using the DS-82 form. If your previous passport was only valid for 5 years, you will need to apply using the DS-11 form.

DS-82 Application (Printable PDF)

Instructions for completing DS-82


If you are applying for a minor (15 years old or younger), both parents are required to be present during the processing of the application. If one parent cannot be present, he/she will be required to submit a DS-3053 form and a front and back copy of his/her Driver’s License, giving consent to the other parent to apply for the minor on behalf of both parents.

DS-3053 Statement of Consent for Issuance to a Minor

If you were issued a passport in the past, you are required to submit the most recent passport with your passport application. If you cannot locate your previous passport you will be required to fill out a DS-64 lost/stolen form with your passport application.

DS-64 Passport Lost or Stolen Form

If you were issued a passport less than 1 year ago and your name has been legally changed due to marriage or court order, than you may re-apply for your passport at no charge. However, if you require Expedited Service you will be responsible for that charge.

DS-5504 Application for a U.S. Passport – Name Change, Date Correction, and Limited Passport Replacement

Please visit Travel.State.Gov for all updated information pertaining to International Travel and U.S. Passport Books/Cards.